In which I bore you with a few things I learned on our vacation...

What's a family vacation without a few lessons learned? Here are ten, in no particular order.

1.) Seagulls love to destroy sandcastles. At least, the one standing in front of us on Wednesday afternoon did. He spent a good ten minutes or more tearing down each and every one that some family had left there earlier that afternoon. It was the craziest thing to watch.

2.) Bluejays are creepy. On the last morning of our vacation, Lovemuffin and I were sitting outside on the balcony and one landed maybe three feet away from me on the railing. When I said (in a nice, high pitched voice) "hello birdie", he looked me right in the eye, turned his little head, and squawked so loud it scared the heck out of me! I can't tell you how fast I hopped out of that chair!

3.) The only time your kid is going to get a migraine is when you plan something big. We decided to go to Morro Bay, which was about half an hour from where we were staying. The plan was for it to be an "all afternoon" trip. We'd eat, shop, and pick up the cinnamon rolls everyone had been drooling about for days, then possibly check out Morro Rock.

Of course, on the way there, one of the girls complained about having a headache. Lunch didn't help, and within half an hour, the poor thing was hanging her head out the open car door and tossing chunks across the street from the restaurant.

Ten minutes later we were at the car wash, then finally headed back to the hotel. For some reason I made a comment about her wallet, which was when she realized she'd left it on the floor of the restaurant. By then, we were already back on the freeway. I cannot tell you how bad I felt for the person who parked where we'd been a few minutes earlier. (It is possible that they overstepped and missed it her "lunch", but considering the fact that it was directly under the driver's side door, I highly doubt it.) So sorry, random stranger, for that! Really we are!

4.) If you have a klutzy kid, multiply that clumsiness by a thousand when you're on vacation. The poor thing must have hurt herself ten times a day. It got to the point where we would just shake our heads, because there really wasn't anything else to say!

5.) After three days of walking to the beach, and walking up and down the beach, at least three times a day, walking, in general, is overrated. Those last three days of vacation were pure torture. My legs are still complaining, and it's been a few days since I've walked in the sand.

6.) Housekeeping is awesome. Now that I'm home, each time there's a knock on the door my heart sinks as I realize it's not someone about to give me clean towels, pick up the kitchen, or change the sheets on the bed.

7.) Coastal towns love to overprice things. And guess what? We just keep on buying them anyway.

8.) It doesn't matter how much room you think you're going to have, your car can never hold everything you want it to hold. No need to explain that one. 'Nuff said.

9.) Vacations are supposed to be relaxing. But with kids, they just... aren't.

10.) It's always nice to get away from the hassles of ordinary life for a while. But... no matter how long I've looked forward to leaving, it's always a great feeling to be back home.


1 comment:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Walking is overratted - LOL!!